Home >> About Antwerpen
Stadspark

The Spanish wall around the city of Antwerp was built by Emperor Charles. It had replaced the medieval City Wall in 1401. In 1542, he followed the route of the current slate (the Boulevard) which was 4.5 kilometers long. The wall was built in solid bastions 9 (a bastion is a projecting portion in the form of a pentagon that is intended to strengthen and defend a fortress wall) and five huge gates. Over the ditch, bridges lay around the well built moat wall.

In 1568, the Duke of Alva wanted to adapt the wall with a citadel: the South Castle.

Additional reinforcements with ramparts were provided in 1818 with the initiative of the then Dutch rule. The "Lunette of Herentals", a triangle in the former Saint Magrietendal (where previously a convent stood and City Park would be built later) was built.

In 1844 the governor of Antwerp province launched the idea of the bastions of the Spanish ramparts (this is the nature incline or slope on the forecourt of the wall) to set up a public walk or promenade. In order to not to compromise the military servitudes on the jackets and the bezel, the Minister of War, Dupont, agreed with this proposal. Three designs were preferred from the proposal designed by the architect and councilor Emanuel Van Cuyck in 1845. Over a distance of nearly a mile, a winding hiking trail on the lookout free was offered. Many different species of trees and flowering shrubs were then planted there by the Ministry of War. The trail was named as "Promenade de Longchamps" similar to the example of Bois de Boulogne in Paris.

The revised war strategy forced the Belgian government to review its national defense system. The Spanish walls were broken in 1859 when the Brialmontgordel was applied around the city.

To compensate for the disappearance of the Promenade de Longchamps in the city of Antwerp, the design and construction of a new park fund was started. The park took the place of the lunette of Herentals which was initially a part of the fortress of Antwerp.

In 1867 Eduard Keilig, came from Germany and gave the command to make the design of park. The design was approved and work began on December 3, 1867 and was completed on August 15, 1869. Years after the date, the construction headed under Keilig in the Antwerp city park emerged out to be one of its most successful realizations, especially because of the highly comfortable and widely acclaimed planting. Keilig remained involved assisting in the city service till a few years before his death. Benches, fences and the beautiful suspension bridge at regular times were painted well. The pond inhabited by ducks and water lilies, was stripped on a regular basis with mud and silt. Fishes and boats with rowers soon appeared on the water. In winter the water used to turn into an ice rink. The artificial rocks deserved attention.

In 1933, walkers also delved into the science park. A botanical walk from Georges Poma, doctor of botany, described 48 species of trees and shrubs, resembling those admired in the Antwerp city park throughout the year.

In 1933, in kiosk concerts, it was used as drinking hall with playground.

World War II shows a battered park with German bunkers after. For years will stray ammunition were stored here.

In 1969 both the kiosk and Dairy disappeared to make way for the social consumer City Garden pavilion and a roller rink.

Around 1970, the whole park edge was disappeared for the widening of the surroundings of Van Eyck and Quinten Matsijslei.

After 140 years of vicissitudes, the park is a living monument of special heritage value which deserves a thorough and (cultural) historically sound park management and also requires a subsequent restoration of its original concept.
Stadspark

De Spaanse omwalling rond de stad Antwerpen werd gebouwd door Keizer Karel in 1542en moest de middeleeuwse Stadsmuur uit 1401 vervangen. Hij volgde het tracé van de huidige leien (den Boulevard). Hij was 4,5 kilometer lang. De muur kreeg 9 massieve bastions (een bastion is een uitspringend gedeelte in de vorm van een vijfhoek dat dient ter versterking en verdediging van een vestingmuur) en 5 enorme stadspoorten. Rond de muur werd een gracht aangelegd en een buitengrachtmuur. Over de gracht lagen bruggen.

De hertog van Alva liet de muur aanpassen in 1568 en voorzien van een citadel: het Zuidkasteel.

Om de omwalling van bijkomende versterking te voorzien werd in 1818 op initiatief van het toenmalige Hollandse bewind, de “lunet van Herentals” gebouwd, een driehoek in het voormalige Sint Magrietendal (waar voordien een nonnenklooster stond en later het Stadspark zou worden aangelegd).

In 1844 lanceert de Antwerpse provinciegouverneur de idee om het glacis van de Spaanse omwallingen (dit is de aardglooiing of helling op het voorterrein van de omwalling) in te richten als publieke wandeling of promenade. Op voorwaarde dat de krijgsdienstbaarheden op de vesten én de lunetniet in het gedrang komen, stemt de minster van oorlog, Dupont, met dit voorstel in. Uit drie ontwerpen gaat in 1845 de voorkeur naar het voorstel van architect en gemeenteraadslid Emanuel Van Cuyck. Over een afstand van bijna anderhalve kilometer, biedt een slingerende wandelweg vrije uitkijk op het, tot dan toe, nog schaars bebouwde buitengebied. Er zullen daar, in opdracht van het Ministerie van Oorlog, talrijke diverse boomsoorten en bloeiende heesters aangeplant worden. De wandelroute krijgt de naam “Promenade de Longchamps” naar het gelijknamige voorbeeld in het Bois de Boulogne te Parijs.

De gewijzigde oorlogsstrategie zal de Belgische overheid tot herziening van haar nationaal defensiesysteem dwingen. De Spaanse omwalling wordt afgebroken in 1859 wanneer de Brialmontgordel wordt aangelegd rond de stad.

Ter compensatie voor het verdwijnen van de Promenade de Longchamps zal de stad Antwerpen het ontwerp en de aanleg van een nieuw park bekostigen. Het stadspark zal de plaats innemen van de lunet van Herentals die een onderdeel vormde van de vesting Antwerpen.

In 1867 krijgt Eduard Keilig, afkomstig uit Duitsland, de opdracht een ontwerp op te maken voor het park. Het ontwerp wordt goedgekeurd en de werkzaamheden startten op 3 december 1867 en waren voltooid op 15 augustus 1869. Jaren na datum zal Keilig d aanleg van het Antwerpse stadspark als één van zijn meest geslaagde realisaties omschrijven, in het bijzonder omwille van de uiterst verzorgde en alom geprezen beplanting. Mede daarom blijft hij, tot enkele jaren voor zijn dood, de betrokken stadsdienst met advies bijstaan. Zitbanken, afsluitingen en de prachtige hangbrug krijgen op geregelde tijden een schilderbeurt. De vijver, bewoond door eenden en waterlelies, wordt op regelmatige basis van slijk en slib ontdaan. Er wordt gevist en weldra verschijnen ook bootjes en roeiers op het water. In wintertijd verandert het watervlak in een ijspiste. Ook de kunstmatige rotspartij verdient de aandacht.

Sinds 1933 wordt wandelaars zich ook wetenschappelijk verdiepen in het park. Een botanische wandeling van Georges Poma, dokter in de plantkunde, beschrijft 48 soorten bomen en heesters, zoals die het hele jaar door in het Antwerpse stadspark te bewonderen zijn.

In 1933 wordt de hovenierswoning verbouwd tot Melkerij, een drinksalon met speeltuin. In een kiosk vinden concerten plaats.

De Tweede Wereldoorlog laat een gehavend park met Duitse bunkers na. Jarenlang zal hier verdwaalde munitie worden opgeslagen.

In 1969 verdwijnen zowel de kiosk als Melkerij om plaats te maken voor het sociaal verbruikerspaviljoen City Garden en een rolschaatsbaan.

Rond 1970 verdwijnt zowat de hele parkrand voor de verbreding van de omliggende Van Eyck- en Quinten Matsijslei.

Na 140 jaar van wel en wee is het stadspark een levend monument van bijzondere erfgoedwaarde dat eerst en vooral om een gedegen en (cultuur) historisch verantwoord parkbeheer vraagt en, op termijn, een herstel naar zijn oorspronkelijk concept verdient.
Disclaimer: The Honarary Consul General of India in Antwerpen does not guarantee the accuracy and assumes no responsibility for the use of information available on this site.
Links to other Internet sites should not be construed as an endorsement of the views contained therein.